We live in a society where children are our future; therefore, it is necessary to focus on the present so that the future is the best possible. We have to learn from the mistakes of the past in the present to improve our future as a society. To do this, we must understand in the world we live and model in us adults first, what we want our children to repeat later.
At present, children are in direct contact with a lot of information, and parents must have even more parenting strategies to be able to protect them from information that is inadequate and to understand what they receive in a critical way. What cannot be missing in the children’s lives are the values that we must teach them because there is too much absence of pampering, and it is necessary to recover them.
Lack of values in children
At present, children live in the absence of values , and that translates into little empathy, little assertiveness, and too much aggressiveness. For example, in schools, unfortunately, there are bullies and bullies, children who have a hard time at school because they are afraid that others will insult them or make life impossible for them.
If you ask a child what values are, they may not know how to answer you. Concepts such as empathy, respect, perseverance, tolerance … they may not even know what they mean because they have never worked at home and even because they have not seen them put into practice. It seems that parents do not have time to play with their children, much less to teach them these essential values for life, and that must change!
Values that cannot be lacking in a home
There are some values that cannot be lacking in any home, and below we are going to talk about them so that, if they are not worked in your home, you can reflect on them and begin to show them to your children more frequently so that they can internalize them:
- Respect. Respect is not fear; it is not punishment or shouting. Respect is achieved through emotional bonding and by example, with the modeling of good behaviors. In addition, for this, it is necessary that the rules and clear limits at home are not lacking. Respect for oneself and for others.
- Empathy. Empathy is essential for relationships with others but also with oneself. Sensitivity is the sister of empathy and that is why it must be fostered through communication and understanding of one’s own emotions and those of others.
- Tolerance. Tolerance for others, for diversity, for what is different, and for what is not understood. We do not live alone in the world, and we must learn to live in harmony with the rest. That is why tolerance, together with respect, is fundamental in all aspects. You have to set an example with opportunities that arise from day to day.
- Sincerity. Sincerity is essential to have good communication through trust. Be honest with your children and they will learn to be honest with you in any aspect … and remember, always with respect and without judgment.
- Gratitude. “It is a good born to be grateful,” and gratitude will make your children value the things they have without missing what they do not have. Follow the example of gratitude to life and the people around you. So your children will learn to value much more the things they have in their lives.
In addition to these, there are many values that must be taught, think about which ones are important to you, and to transmit to your family. Then be the best example and the role model for your children to become successful people in all aspects of life, but above all, in the personal aspect.